CMU may stand for a university:
- Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
- Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, United States
- Central Methodist University in Fayette, Missouri, United States
- California Miramar University, in San Diego, California
- Canadian Mennonite University in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- Cardiff Metropolitan University in Cardiff, Wales
- Caribbean Medical University in Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles
- Central Mindanao University in Maramag, Bukidnon, Philippines
- Chiang Mai University in Chiangmai, Thailand
- China Medical University (PRC) in Shenyang, Liaoning, People's Republic of China
- China Medical University (ROC) in Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China (Taiwan)
- Colorado Mesa University In Grand Junction, Colorado
CMU may also stand for:
- Charge Maximale d'Utilisation, i.e. Safe Working Load (SWL) or Working Load Limit (WLL), the maximum load which may be applied to a given product or component. It is usually measured in daN.
- CMU, a/k/a Contemporary Music Unit, a musical group from the early 1970s
- Coffman Memorial Union, the student activity center at the University of Minnesota.
- Couverture maladie universelle, a French public health program
- Complete Music Update (aka College Music Update) a music business news service
- Communication Management Unit A portion of a US federal prison facility that restricts an inmate's access to other inmates and ability to communicate with the outside world.
- Communication management unit, the router in an aircraft
- Concrete masonry unit, a concrete "block" used in construction
- Complections Make-Up Art and Design School in Toronto, ON